Monday, April 13, 2009

Six Great Places to Visit in New Britain - Part 3

NEW BRITAIN MUSEUM OF AMERICAN ART

http://www.nbmaa.org/

When people think about New Britain a great museum doesn't usually come to mind. But the New Britain Museum of American Art was founded in 1903 and is notable as the first museum in the country dedicated to American Art. In 2007 it was awarded the Excellence in Art award by the State of Connecticut.

The cost of amission for members is free. While it costs $9 for adults, $8 for seniors, $7 for students, free for children under 12, and on Saturdays from 10 to noon admission is free to the public.

It is located close to downtown at 56 Lexington Street. The museum is in a beautiful part of New Britain basically in Walnut Hill Park. It now boasts more than 5,000 pieces of art from different genres such as colonial portraiture, the Hudson River School, American Impressionism, the Ash Can School, and the very important mural series called "The Arts of Life in America" by Thomas Hart Benton.

My first visit to the museum happened when I was nine or ten years old and I remember it very clearly. I went with my family and I was amazed right away. We slowly walked the entire museum and we talked about everything that we saw. My parents asked me what I liked and why I liked them. I remember basically liking everything but especially enjoyed the sculpture display that was there at the time. It was mostly abstract sculptures and for some reason they just totally intrigued me at the time. I clearly remember wanting to touch them to feel what they were made of and being told, "Dont touch" over and over again by my dad.

Later on in life I found this museum to be a great place to bring a date. I guess because I love it and it always seemed to make a great first impression. Your date might actually think you have some style and culture. It's also very quiet and relaxing so you can take your time, talk, and get to know each other while enjoying amazing art.

No comments:

Post a Comment